Our plan to facilitate the meaningful engagement of parents begins with establishing trust. In order to provide meaningful activities that encourage our parents to become full partners in the education of their children, we must first and foremost develop trusting respectful relationships.
MVCDC focuses on programming that implements a research a based curriculum to assist parents as their child’s first teacher. Families are invited into the centers to read to children and share literacy activities within the classrooms. Families are encouraged by their teachers and Family Support Specialists to engage in “Classroom to Home” activities. These activities assist in development, lingual progression, and cultural applicable activities for the promotion of literacy through a specified curriculum; increasing knowledge and skills. Family Support Specialists also link parents and families to resources for their own literacy needs.
We offer many opportunities to engage with families. Some examples include :
- Policy Council and Parent Committee representation
- Father Engagement Coalition through Urban Light Ministries
- Parent’s Early Childhood Education–Positive Action Choices Training (PECE–PACT) program is designed to prevent conduct disorders in high-risk preschoolers
- Ready-to-Work-Workforce development
- The Positive Parenting Program (Triple P)- Triple P gives parents simple and practical strategies to help them build strong, healthy relationships, confidently manage their children’s behavior and prevent problems developing
- Volunteer in your child’s classroom